|The Ice Truck Killer|
For the character behind the serial killer, visit Brian Moser.
Living under the alias of Rudy Cooper, he begins a strange killing spree in Miami, FL. When police find the bodies of several dismembered and bloodless prostitutes, they initiate a difficult investigation, not realizing that the killer is hiding in plain sight.
The Ice Truck Killer is the Main Antagonist of Season One, the First Main Antagonist of the series, and the First Serial Killer Antagonist that Dexter faces.
The Ice Truck Killer
Brian Moser derived his need to kill from witnessing the gruesome murder of his mother at a young age. After having spent his youth in a mental institution, he was released at age twenty-one. In 1998, he killed a man by the name of Rudy Cooper and assumed his identity. Soon after, he set in motion an elaborate plan to reconnect with his brother, Dexter Morgan, Brian had discovered that Dexter not only worked as a forensic blood spatter analyst with an impressive track record, but was also a serial killer just like himself.
In his first step to trigger Dexter's memory of the past, Brian began to leave bloodless, dismembered women in public areas. (Although Dexter also dismembered his victims, Brian cut up the bodies in more symmetrical portions.)
Messages and Games
Very intelligent, calculating, and cautious, ITK used methods that were detailed and encrypted. Brian played games with the police and left "puzzles" meant strictly for Dexter. He knew exactly how to convey the past to Dexter without giving too much away. Police diversions and clues to Dexter's past included:
- Dismembered, bloodless bodies
- Creation of a non-existent witness with an incomplete cut on one leg (as if he were interrupted)
- A spotless Ice Truck containing fingertips within a block of ice
- An innocent man framed, before cutting off his hand and leg
- As lover to Debra in order to get close to Dexter
- Doll pieces left inside Dexter's fridge
- Different colored fingernails, including on a prosthesis
- Body parts displayed in places that represent significant moments of Dexter's past
- Tony Tucci, who was set up to be killed
- His murder of their father
- The blood-filled hotel room - Room 103
- Closure at the Moser household
Although Dexter and Debra speculated that The Ice Truck Killer committed his murders in a stolen ice truck (hence his name), it is revealed in episode 8 that he had a custom refrigeration unit in his apartment. It was there that he dismembered his victims, wrapped up the pieces, and left them in public areas for the police to find.
Brian had a method to drain the blood out of each corpse before he cut it up (allowing a less messy process). He would string his victim upside down on an electric-powered table with metal grating. Then the neck was slit to allow the heart to pump out the blood, which was collected in a bucket. Later, he used the buckets of blood in his scheme to make his brother remember the past.
in Born Free, Dexter set up his murder of Brian to look like a suicide by slashing his throat and draining his blood in his own kill room.
(These victims are likely in the Blood Buckets' list.)
- Jill Vartos
- Teri Ludlow
- Heather Costas
- Alice Curry
- Amy True
- Terry Foster
- Guilda Ruppert
- Tammy Goode
- Unnamed bucket #1 (unknown victim)
- Unnamed bucket #2 (likely Sheri Taylor)
- Unnamed buck #3 (likely Monique)
- Tony Tucci (held him captive and amputated his arm and leg)
- Angel Batista (stabbed in the back)
- Debra Morgan (abducted and tried to stab)
- Kills during 1989 - 2006 (except for Rudy Cooper)
- Brian Moser
- Ice Truck Killer Investigation
- Ice Truck Killer Victims 1 and 2
- Pool Victim (Ice Truck Killer)
- Seven Seas Motel
- The Seven Seas Motel (Crime Scene)
- Refrigerated Truck
- Fountain Victim (Ice Truck Killer)
- The Fountain (Crime Scene)
- Tony Tucci
- Miami Blades Ice Hockey Stadium
- Angel of Mercy Hospital
- McCaffrey Pumpkin Patch
- Petrie Beach
- The Marina View Hotel
- Prosthetic Arm (Ice Truck Killer)
- Rudy Cooper's ID Badge
- Brian Moser's Residence