The Kill Tools are Dexter Morgan's "tools of the trade." His brother, Brian Moser, used similar kill tools and dismembered his victims like Dexter (although Brian drained their blood, neatly wrapped up the parts, and left them out in plain sight). Dexter typically stabbed his victims in the heart but he also used other methods, such as sawing out a neck, decapitation, and slashing or stabbing a carotid artery. The known ways that Dexter has killed his victims are listed below.
Kill Kit Tools
- Kill knife (Mary, Juan Rinez, Alex Timmons, Robert Milson, Matt Chambers, Ethan Turner, Lila West, Julio Benes, Roger Hicks, Valerie Castillo, Clemson Galt, Benito Gomez, Zoey Kruger, Boyd Fowler, Stan Liddy, Cole Harmon, Clint McKay, Travis Marshall, Oleg Mickic, Ron Galuzzo)
- Boning knife (Hector Estrada).
- Chef’s knives (large & small)
- Bone saws (large & small)
- Fillet knife
- Poultry shears
- Serrated Bread knife
- Cleaver (Jamie Jaworski, Ken Olson, Jonathan Farrow, Cal Rooney)
- Ice pick
- Chainsaw (Cindy Landon, Santos Jimenez)
- Circular saw (Peter Thornton).
- Reciprocating saw (Mike Donovan, Emmett Meridian, Jorge Castillo, Jose Garza, Stan Beaudry)
Other Kill Methods
- Hacksaw (Max Lindquist, Coleman Lindquist)
- Machete (Little Chino)
- Garrote (Nathan Marten, Miguel Prado)
- Bayonet Oscar Prado, Fred Bowman)
- Hammer (Arthur Mitchell, Joe Walker)
- Fire extinguisher (Viktor Baskov)
- Pitchfork (Norm)
- Anchor (Rankin)
- Switchblade (Andrew Briggs)
- Harpoon (Alberto)
- Kitchen knife (Steve Dorsey)
- Table knife (Brian Moser)
- Curtain rod (A.J. Yates)
- Pen (Oliver Saxon)
- Pillow (Walter Kenney)
- Pocketknife (attempted), Flashlight & His Car (Gene Marshall)
- Wood stake (Ray Speltzer)
- Defibrillator (Ben, Roger)
- Poisonous gas (Beth Dorsey)
- Seawater (Nick)
- Gun (Teo Famosa)
- Shrink wrap (Lance Robinson)
- Euthanasia agent (Camilla Figg)
- His hands (Esteban Famosa, George King, Dan Mendell)
- M99 tranquilizer & syringes
- Lock pick set
- Duct tape
- Kill attire
- Black gym bag
- Blood spatter kit
- Smelling salts
- Microscope slides
- Plastic sheeting / shrink wrap
- Black heavy-duty trash bags
- Candles (at times)
In "Return to Sender," Dexter plans to dump his kill tools along with his blood slide box into the bay, in order to leave behind no trace of his secret life should he becomes a suspect for the murder of Valerie Castillo. After he throws his kill tools overboard, he reminisces about his previous kills as he goes through the slides. He eventually notices a smile on the blood slide of Valerie (the work of his "new friend," the Ice Truck Killer) and he decides to keep his blood slide box.
In "There's Something About Harry," Dexter gets James Doakes to drink water with a sedative mixed inside, causing him to pass out. Dexter seizes this opportunity to put Doakes' fingerprints on his kill tools, in order to frame him for the murders. The tools are found by a Scuba Diving class, giving the police and the FBI further evidence of Doakes' guilt ("Left Turn Ahead").
Dexter takes on an apprentice, Zach Hamilton, who likewise acquires his own set of kill tools, but he is murdered by Oliver Saxon before he has the chance to use them. Dexter's newest kill tools are abandoned at the end of "Monkey In a Box," when he captures his main adversary in the season. Because of his longing to be with Hannah, Dexter decides not to go ahead with the kill. He leaves the kill tools behind as evidence against Saxon when he gets arrested. This plan fails, however, as Saxon gets freed by US Marshal Max Clayton and ends up killing Clayton (with one of Dexter's knives) and shooting Debra, whom Dexter had called to arrest Saxon.
Novels and Comics
In the comics that follow the continuity of the novels, Dexter's kill tools are depicted for the first time on Issue #3.
Dexter: The GameIn the game, Dexter stores his tools in a wooden box with multiple compartments. The tools depicted include, but not limited to:
- Bone saw
- Dexter used a Northstar 1050 HD Diamond Ripstop Series Duffle Bag to carry his knife bag and other gear.