|This page has a disambiguation page, here.|
Dexter Early Cuts is a web-based series in the form of an animated comic about the character Dexter Morgan and his earliest kills, thus the name "Early Cuts". The series is narrated by Michael C. Hall from the Showtime series and chronicles characters from the TV series (not the novels).
Season 1 focuses on three different killers, while Season 2 deals with Dexter's first major antagonist in the franchise, and Season 3 centers around Dexter's first encounter with a pair of killers. Each story is told in several two to three minute chapters.
All episodes were released via Youtube to promote specific seasons of the show.
Season 1: Alex/Gene/Cindy
- Alex Timmons: Chapter One - Release Date: 25 October 2009
Dexter begins his research on Alex Timmons who grew up hunting, became a marine, and then turned dark.
- Alex Timmons: Chapter Two - Release Date:1 November 2009
Dexter continues to explore Alex's background and eventually confronts him at gun range where he makes an interesting discovery.
- Alex Timmons: Chapter Three - Release Date: 8 November 2009
Dexter captures Alex and takes him to a secure location where he keeps him subdued and surrounded by his hunting trophies.
- Alex Timmons: Chapter Four - Release Date: 15 November 2009
As Alex senses his own mortality, he begs Dexter for mercy and Dexter ponders the method by which he should end the killer's life.Dexter Early Cuts: Gene Marshall
- Gene Marshall: Chapter One - Release Date: 15 November 2009
Dexter begins his latest pursuit with Gene Marshall and learns that he is a real estate mogul, billionaire, and an arsonist.
- Gene Marshall: Chapter Two - Release Date: 22 November 2009
Dexter learns that Marshall's crimes basically went unpunished as he was deemed unfit for trial after he used his money to exploit the system.
- Gene Marshall: Chapter Three - Release Date: 29 November 2009
Dexter subdues and confronts Marshall about the people who were casualties of his arsonist activities.
- Gene Marshall: Chapter Four - Release Date: 6 December 2009
Dexter is interrupted from his ritual with Gene Marshall when his sister, Deb, insists he celebrate her sweet-sixteen birthday with her. Dexter is forced to rethink his methods of disposal.Dexter Early Cuts: Cindy Landon
- Cindy Landon: Chapter One - Release Date: 13 December 2009
Dexter stalks a new victim and finds one in Cindy Landon, a magician's assistant with a special skill that makes her husbands disappear.
- Cindy Landon: Chapter Two - Release Date: 20 December 2009
Cindy reveals the secrets behind her trade and speculates that her role in a magic show is more important than the magician's.
- Cindy Landon: Chapter Three - Release Date: 27 December 2009
Dexter introduces himself to Cindy at a magic show and, even though she is married, she agrees to meet him later in an abandoned parking lot.
- Cindy Landon: Chapter Four - Release Date: January 4 2010
With Cindy subdued, Dexter sets the stage for his own magic show with her as the center of attention.
Season 2: Dark Echo
(All episodes for Season 2: Dark Echo were released on the same date.)
- Dark Echo - Chapter One - Release Date: 24 October 2010
Dexter buries his father Harry and then attends college
- Dark Echo - Chapter Two - Release Date: 24 October 2010
Dexter stalks a new victim, Criminology Professor Robert Milson.
- Dark Echo - Chapter Three - Release Date: 24 October 2010
A new year and a new semester bring new victims for Dexter. He targets Jenna Lincoln but someone else kills her first.
- Dark Echo - Chapter Four - Release Date: 24 October 2010
Dexter uncovers the identity of "Dark Echo" (his copycat killer) - Peter Thornton
- Dark Echo - Chapter Five - Release Date: 24 October 2010
Dexter's "Dark Echo" meets his maker. It's hunter, prey...let the games begin.
- Dark Echo - Chapter Six - Release Date: 24 October 2010
Dexter honors the code and the memory of Harry.
Season 3: All in the Family
(Season 3 takes place in the year 2000.)
- All in the Family - Chapter One - Release Date: 21 August 2012
Dexter hunts a new killer on New Year's Eve.
- All in the Family - Chapter Two - Release Date: 28 August 2012
Two weeks before New Year's Eve, Dexter struggles to find a killer to satisfy his dark passenger.
- All in the Family - Chapter Three - Release Date: 4 September 2012
Dexter researches his next target, Coleman Lindquist.
- All in the Family - Chapter Four - Release Date: 11 September 2012
Dexter stalks Lindquist, but is stopped by his sister, Debra.
- All in the Family - Chapter Five - Release Date: 18 September 2012
Dexter follows Lindquist into his house, just to discover that Lindquist is not killing solo, but instead is working along with his father.
- All in the Family - Chapter Six - Release Date: 25 September 2012
Dexter faces off with Coleman Lindquist and his father in the final chapter...
- Professor by Bert Pence
- Frat Boy by Paul Jones
- Dark Echo by Jeff Skowron
Writers and Artists
Season 1: (2009-10)
- Writer: Lauren Gussis
- Artist: Kyle Baker
Season 2: Dark Echo (2010)
- Writer: Tim Schlattmann
- Artist: Bill Sienkiewicz
Season 3: All in the Family (2012)
- Writer: Scott Reynolds
- Artist: David Mack
Chronological list of events, according to the Early Cuts web-series:
- Dark Echo - 1991
- Gene Marshall - June 1993
- All in the Family - December 2000
- Alex Timmons - October 2003
- Cindy Landon - March 2004
While Early Cuts is meant to symbolize killings done by Dexter prior to the events in the Showtime series, there are a couple of discrepancies.
- In the TV series, Alex Timmons was the first trophy in Dexter's blood slide collection, and Gene Marshall was the second one. However, in Early cuts, Gene Marshall was killed in 1993, and Alex Timmons was killed in 2003, ten years later. In Early Cuts, it is clear that Dexter does not take a blood slide from Gene Marshall, yet there is a cut on Gene's face during the flashback in the TV series. This suggests that if Dexter did take a blood trophy from Gene, he wasn't killed ten years prior to the killing of Alex, (his first trophy). The Early Cuts story may be the definitive version as it was released post-Season 2 (and Gene Marshall's story was released post-Season 4), thus ruling out Gene's appearance in season one of the TV series.
- Cindy Landon, in the TV series, appears to be wrapped in plastic. In Early Cuts, Cindy is confined inside a box where Dexter chainsaws her in half.